I roasted a big bunch of hatch chiles recently. So I’m using them to make macaroni and cheese. Hatch chiles are a type of green chile from New Mexico. If you don’t have freshly roasted hatch chiles, just go ahead and use canned green chiles. I love a spicy mac and cheese , and hatch chiles (or green chiles) are a great way to spice up macaroni and cheese. Feel free to use extra chiles if you like!
How to make the perfect mac and cheese
1. Make sure the pasta is al dente. That is, not over cooked. The pasta should have a little bit to it. Cook it 1 minute less than what the package says
2. Salt the pasta water. This is the only opportunity to give the pasta some salt and flavor.
3. Add cheese a little at a time to the sauce. Make sure a batch of cheese completely melts into the sauce before adding more. This will help the sauce get nice and silky.
4. Add the cheese on low heat. If you add cheese when the sauce is too hot, it will clump up.
5. Make sure the cheese is finely shredded, it will melt better.
Most mac n cheese recipes will have you sprinkle bread crumbs on top and bake the whole thing in an oven. I usually never have patience for that! So I mix the cheese sauce with the pasta and eat it right away!
½ lb pasta (elbow macaroni, spiral or cavatappi)
2 tablespoons butter
½ an onion, chopped
1 ½ tablespoons flour
2 cups whole milk
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup chopped roasted hatch chiles or green chiles. Freshly roasted or canned.
1. Boil the pasta in plenty of salted water. When it is al dente, drain it and set aside. Make sure the pasta is not over cooked.
2. While the pasta is cooking, work on the sauce. Heat butter in a medium sauce pan. Add the onion and cook until it is soft, about 2 minutes.
3. Sprinkle the flour onto the butter and stir well. Cook on medium-low heat for about 1 minutes, stirring constantly. The flour should not brown. Now slowly pour in the milk, whisking constantly. Let the sauce cook and come to a boil while whisking it constantly.
4. When the sauce has thickened, reduce the heat to low. Add one small hand full of the shredded cheese. Stir until it is completely melted into the sauce. Now add another hand full of cheese and stir it. Keep adding all the cheese one hand full at a time and making sure it is completely incorporated into the sauce before adding more.
5. Fold in the cooked pasta, green chiles and salt. Increase the heat and cook just until everything is hot.