I first discovered Butler soy curls about 6 years ago. Since then, this soy curl taco has been my favorite dish using soy curls. I take back a bag of soy curls for my parents when I visit India. They use it to make masala coated soy curls dish and love it! Soy curls absorb flavors easily and are meaty and satisfying – the best fake meat ever! Even the meat lovers will love this vegetarian, vegan recipe!
Rehydrating soy curls is easy. Just add hot water to them and soak for about 5 minutes. Then drain. When the soy curls are cool enough to handle, squeeze out as much water as you can. Your soy curls are now all reconstituted and ready to jump into the taco filling! For the filling I used peppers, onions, Mexican oregano and chili powder.
I prefer using corn tortillas over flour. But feel free to whatever kind of tortilla you like – corn, flour, whole wheat – its all good. Use whatever toppings you like for the tacos as well. I topped my soy curl tacos with salsa, shredded cheese and shredded lettuce.
Soy Curls Taco Recipe
serves about 2-3
1 cup soy curls
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 red or green pepper, sliced into strips
1 small red onion, sliced into half moons
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
1/2 teaspoon Ancho chili powder. Substitute with regular chili powder or paprika.
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Juice of half a lime
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Half a lime cut into wedges
6-8 small sized corn or flour tortillas
Toppings – pick what you like
1. First rehydrate the soy curls. Boil water in a kettle. Place soy curls in a bowl and pour enough boiling water over them to completely submerge the soy curls. Let the soy curls soak in the hot water for about 5 minutes or until they are soft. Then drain them in a colander. When the soy curls have cooled enough to handle, squeeze out as much water as you can and set aside.
2. Heat the oil on medium-high heat in a large wok or skillet. Add the sliced peppers and onions and sauté for about 2 minutes.
3. Then add the rehydrated soy curls, ground cumin, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, lime juice and salt. Saute for another 2 minutes. Sprinkle chopped cilantro on top.
4. Just before serving, wrap the tacos in a stack, in a kitchen towel and microwave them for about 20 seconds. Keep the tacos covered to prevent them from drying out.
5. To serve, fill a warm taco with the soy curl filling and top with your choice of toppings from the list above. Serve the lime wedges on the side.